Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Some Upcoming Projects

Good morning, y'all!

Sooooo, long time, no see.  I've been pretty slammed lately with cookie orders and prep work for - wait for it - our vow renewal ceremony :D

Here's some background for those of you who don't know me that well.  My hubby and I will have been married 10 years tomorrow evening.  It's been a LONG road getting to this point - one that actually involved consulting divorce lawyers at one point about 8 years ago.  Way back then when we decided to stick it out, I told myself that if/when we made it to 10 years, I was going to throw a big ole' bash and celebrate the heck out of it - complete with a recommitment of our vows.  Well, the big ole' bash was just not feasible at this point in our lives, so we're doing a small, intimate bash at our house instead.

This has added a level of stress that I didn't know was possible for a seemingly small get together.  I mean, y'all have seen our house.  That's what most of this blog has been dedicated to for the past year.  And it. STRESSES. ME. THE. JUNK. OUT that it's not done and I have to have people over for a nice event in a construction zone.  Seriously.  I hate it.  Like, HATE it.

But we take what we have and run with it, because ultimately, everyone coming into my house is a dear friend who loves us and just wants to celebrate our milestone with us.  So I need to calm the heck down and remember that ;)

Whew.  Okay, dirty laundry aired.  Most people only see the side of me where I smilingly tell them about all the wonderful things I made for this ceremony, and only my husband and children see my 3 days unwashed hair pulled up in frustration that I just. can't. get. this. stupid. seam. to LINE. UP.  Trust me, it's not pretty.  You don't want to experience this side of me ;P

All of that being said, I've been documenting the process of some of these projects.  The ones that failed got thrown out, and the ones that succeeded will come to you in the form of tutorials (Lord willing) over the course of the next couple months.  It seems that I have lots of desire to make and post things, but no actual time to do so.  Telling you about it now is my motivation to post said tutorials…so hold me accountable, y'all!

Okay, I think that's all for now.  Thank you so much to all of you who have walked with me through the insanity of planning this ceremony.  Your prayers of peace and support mean more than you know :)

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Old End Table to Playroom Table

When we got married, we got literally almost all of our furniture from Target.  It was cheap and we were poor and I loved it.  Fast forward almost 10 years and that furniture has seen quite a lot of "love" from us and our now 4 kiddos.  The end tables that we had gotten for our living room were in particular pretty rough.  This one had scratches all over the top and was just a mess.  But I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it when we needed a table for the playroom.  

Ah, the playroom - this is the place where I get to really play with color in my house :)  I haven't gotten too crazy yet, but I have plans, my friends!  PLANS!!

The items I first chose that set the color scheme were the fabric storage bins I made for their cube shelves - yeah, still need to do a tutorial on those, but here's one I did for the stuffed animal storage where you can see the bin fabric beneath - LOVE!

So, this is the table BEFORE:

Like I said - pretty rough.  I had actually sanded it already in these pics, but honestly, it's not much different than it was before I sanded.

Anyhoo…I went to Lowe's and found a sample pot of paint that I fell in love with and it was just the right amount for this little table.

I used a small cabinet roller and first put a coat of Zinsser Bin 123 Primer (my fave) and then painted the latex paint on top of that.  Then I used some lighter blue paint and some stencils that I found at Michaels that were little speech bubbles.

They didn't quite "pop" enough, so I used a black sharpie to outline them.  

I had to figure out what to put in the speech bubbles.  I chose scriptures that I thought would help my kiddos the most and copied a font I liked from Word - just eyeballed it.  

After the paint was dry, I used this clear coat polyacrylic just on the top using the sock method mentioned in this tutorial.  All kinds of stuff has been poured on this table and liquids don't seem to affect it at all, so that's wonderful news!!

I love the way it turned out, and apparently so did my 18 month old, because he tried to add writing of his own ;P  Oh well!  That's why it's in the playroom!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...