Tuesday, March 11, 2014

GIrls' Bedroom Dresser

WOO HOO!!!  I FINALLY finished it!  I can't even tell you how good it feels to check this project off of my list...and move it out of my unfinished dining room ;P

We knew that we wanted to put the girls together in the same room, but we had a dresser with 3 drawers between the two of them.  If you have girls, you know that this is absolutely not enough for both of them ;P

So, we started looking for something inexpensive because we also knew that we couldn't afford to buy something brand new.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I LOVE the Facebook Buy-Sell-Trade pages.  I just threw it out there that I was looking for a dresser, and within a day, we had found this beauty:

It had great bones, was SUPER sturdy, and at $150 for an 8 drawer dresser AND mirror, I couldn't pass it up.  Originally, I wanted it to be less than $100, but I realize now that for something as high quality as this, that was pretty unrealistic.  

I started by using a sanding sponge and scuffing the surface.

I wiped it down really well, then primed it with the waterbased Zinsser primer - I think it's called Bullseye 123.  I did 3 coats of that - only because I decided after the first 2 that I wanted to buy new handles and had to fill in the old holes with sandable/stainable wood filler and drill new ones.  I can't remember the brand, but it came in a tube and I just squirted it into the holes and scraped the excess off. 

I started out with Sherwin Williams ProClassic Alkyd Enamel - I'll be honest.  I wasn't that impressed.  It was supposed to be sturdy like oil based but with a water cleanup.  I thought it was really watery in consistency and I just didn't like its coverage.  So in the end, I switched to my usual Behr semi-gloss that we bought for all the trim in our house...and I LOVE IT!!!  Once it dried to the touch, I  put the drawers back in but didn't close them all the way so that the paint can fully cure for the next week or so.  I put the handles on and they are so much more amazing than I thought.

I bought the top handles at Hobby Lobby, and the bottom handles from the etsy seller Violette Slippers.  They came distressed with off-white chalk paint and I loved the look, but really needed it to be white to match the dresser.  I just painted some of the Zinsser primer over top of it and used a damp paper towel to wipe off the majority of it.

Original 2 on the right. left 2 with primer

And for the big reveal...

I just feel like it's smiling at me :D

I don't just love it - I LURVE it!!  Ha ha!!  YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...